Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: Through the Ever Night

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)Title: Through the Ever Night
Author: Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky
Volume: 2
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia, Romance, Fantasy

Why I Read It: It's the sequel to Under the Never Sky.

A Quick Intro: Aria is back on the Outside. Since she last saw Perry, he's begun to settle into the role of Blood Lord of the Tides, but her presence may unsettle that- she's pretty much shunned by the entire Tides, and leaving again might be the only way to help. And they aren't the only ones in trouble- the Aether storms are getting worse, threatening the existence of Outsiders and Dwellers alike.

What I Thought: I don't like the cover. Sorry, I know a lot of people love it, but I'm not fond of it- it isn't how I picture Peregrine, I guess. And I don't like the blurb.
It took me a while to get into this one. I didn't love the first one as much as other people did to begin with- I'm not much of a romance reader, as mentioned before. This one didn't pull me in for most of the book, and then rushed through the last part of the book to the end. Overall it wasn't really to my taste. I didn't much care for the desperate romance, and I didn't enjoy the characters very much. Somewhere along the line, I found I didn't care very much what happened to the characters.

Fun Fact: Degenerative Lobe Syndrome (what some of the Pod dwellers suffer from) is not completely unrealistic. The brain is constantly changing, evolving and trimming off parts that aren't used- all brain function requires energy, so the loss of unnecessary brain function would, in the short term, have benefits. However, if the parts of the brain linked to survival instinct are trimmed due to lack of necessity, and then are needed again, it would be much more difficult for a person without those instincts would be at a disadvantage. (Can you tell that I'm crazy about this stuff? I am. It was probably my favourite part of the story.)

No comments :

Post a Comment