Friday, May 1, 2015

Review: Firefight

Title: Firefight
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: The Reckoners
Volume: 2
Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Dystopia
Release Date: January 6, 2015
Goodreads

A Quick Introduction: Steelheart is dead, and Newcago is free, but work is just beginning for David and the rest of the Reckoners. When a series of attacks leads them to the Epic-ruled city of Babalar, where nothing is as it seems and they can't shake the feeling that they're playing into a trap. With Steelheart gone, and Megan revealed as Firefight, David must reconsider his view of Epics on the whole as he tries to learn more about Epics and their abilities.

Out of Ten: 7/10

Review at a Glance: An interesting sequel that reveals more about the Epics, though I still wasn't blown away.

Review: This series just keeps failing to wow me. I want to be crazy about Brandon Sanderson's work, but I haven't found anything that awes me. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy parts of the story. I love the concept- its a bit like evil superheroes.

This book dives further into the world after Calamity. Newcago has reached a new equilibrium of sorts, now being run by humans. The Reckoners repel attacks by Epics on the city, until they become aware that these Epics are being sent by Regalia, the Epic ruler of Babalon Reborn (Babalar), with connections to Prof's past. Babilar presents a very different side of Epic control, where people are less terrified, and more accepting, of Epic rulers. The descriptions of the city were vivid, and set a strong sense of place.

I think part of the reason I'm not enamoured of these books is David, the narrator. It isn't that I dislike him, exactly, its more that he doesn't feel real to me. There's something about him that just doesn't feel believable. I'm not sure if its that I can't invest in him which makes him feel unreal, or if he feels unreal so I can't invest in him. Either way, it makes it hard to become really emotionally involved in his journey.

The Epics are explored more as David strives to learn more about them, both about how their abilities work, and how they can be stopped. The more David learns about Epics, the less he thinks of them in terms of black-and-white.

The world and the action components of the story pulled me in, and I ended up finishing this book fairly fast. Its a pretty quick read, and the pacing is pretty non-stop. Overall, I enjoyed it despite my lack of connection to the main character, and I will be picking up the next (last? It feels like a trilogy) book.

No comments :

Post a Comment