Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Top Ten Favorite Book Blogs


Wow when you aren't around for a year... the landscape changes. Someone's moved the street signs around and there's a new subdivision and that duck nest wasn't there before, was it?

I hadn't realised exactly how many of my favourite blogs weren't active anymore until I was doing this post. I'm going to limit myself to blogs that have been active in the past 4 months but besides that... no rules. Here are a random selection of some of the blogs whose posts I'm always excited to see on my feed:

1. Happy Indulgence: This was one of the first blogs I ever remember following and they've just had such consistently great content over the years.

2. Readers in Wonderland: Isn't really active anymore but I really liked the content they posted when they still were! I like the way they formatted their reviews...

3. Paper Fury: There's so much I admire about this blog and it's blogger! It's such a vivid experience, both visually and to read. I've also really enjoyed reading the discussions about writing (I need all of the inspiration I can get in that department and Cait manages to be funny, and frank, and motivating all at once.)

4. Alexa Loves Books: She has SO MANY creative features that I really like seeing! I especially like Tunes & Tales (both the original version and version 2.0).

5. The Book Wars: The discussions they have on this blog are lovely... and also they're a Canadian blog and I am basically patriotic in two situations: when following bloggers, and when watching figure skating competitions. (Actually that's kind of a lie since over half of my favourite skaters are not Canadian and half of the ones that are have just retired from competition BUT ANYWAY.)

6. The Book Smugglers: Part book blog, part publishing team, all fantastic. I really admire what they're doing here. They're an old favourite of mine that I've recently rediscovered so there's a lot to catch up on.

7. That Artsy Reader Girl: I kind of had to put the superhero who hosts TTT on here, didn't I? Although really, it isn't just that. This was also one of the earliest blogs I remember following and I've consistently really enjoy her content.

8. A Kernel of Nonsense: A new-ish-to-me blog that I've found my way to only since I started blogging again.

9. Tor/Forge Blog: I just... really like Tor a lot? It's a whole thing. Similar to The Book Smugglers in that publishing is part of the MO but also in that I really like both how they approach said publishing and also their not-strictly-publishing content.

10. Drizzle and Hurricane Books: Also a pretty new to me blog! The discussion posts are something I'm especially enjoying.

Okay this is your cue to suggest more blogs for me! 

19 comments :

  1. Jana IS a superhero! I so appreciate what she does with this meme, and all the work she puts into keeping it current and going. It's just so much fun, plus makes for a great way to meet new bloggers. :)

    Also, yay for Alicia's blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found so many blogs that I enjoy though TTT, especially since returning to blogging! TTT remains the first and only meme that I've really stuck with and I'm glad that she's kept it running because it's really fun.

      Delete
  2. A Kernel of Nonsense is great, and I miss readers in Wonderland too. I always enjoy TOR's blog as well... so much stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always wandering into new things on the Tor blog! (Plus finding so many new books, both ones published by Tor and just other speculative fiction...)

      Delete
  3. I thought about including Paper Fury but that seemed to be too obvious to me. You have a bunch of good sites there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably one of the go-tos for a lot of people, it's true. Which is awesome in it's own way, I think?

      I can't even remember when I first started reading Paper Fury but it was before Google's feed reader stopped being a thing... whenever that was, because I'm pretty sure I remember migrating it over to Feedly with all the other blogs I followed at the time... most of them are gone now but Paper Fury is still stubbornly around!

      Delete
  4. I love A Kernel of Nonsense. A fab blog. Great list! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty new find for me in particular (although I realise I'm late to the party with that one!) and I'm really enjoying the content so far.

      Delete
  5. I love Paper Fury and Kernels of Nonsense too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/14/top-ten-tuesday-172/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both great! I've followed Paper Fury for quite a while, but A Kernel of Nonsense is a recent one for me, and I'm really enjoying getting caught up on content...

      Delete
  6. Paper Fury is definitely a good one! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing a lot of love for Paper Fury this week and it is... totally deserved, her blog is consistently so great!

      Delete
  7. It's fun promoting the book blogs and other bookish sites in this week's TTT post, isn't it?? I follow Alexa Loves Books on YouTube. Lover her vlog!

    Here's a link to my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/08/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-book.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll confess that I'm a lot behind on booktube... I tend to not watch anything for quite a while and then just binge everything one day... it is not an ideal system. That said, I've liked the vlogs of hers that I've seen!

      Delete
  8. I love a lot of these, too! It’s sad when a blog disappears. People go on hiatus and never come back. That’s what happened with a lot of the blogs that started around the same time I did.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little sad to see bloggers though, although I know that they've probably got a lot going on (or are stopping because it just isn't a good hobby for them anymore). I always kind of retain hope that maybe they'll return? I mean, I did, after deserting the blogsphere for a year... I've been blogging for... well. 5 years on this blog, give or take, so a lot of bloggers that were around when I started are gone too!

      Delete
  9. I agree with every single point on your list, especially the one about keeping posts under a thousand words. I know that longer posts can lead to better SEO results, but I still have a preference for the shorter ones most of the time.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks for stopping by earlier this week!

    ReplyDelete