Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Most Anticipated Releases for the First Half of 2019


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.



* Lounges, exhausted, on the floor * First day back to class.

Anyway.


1. The Wicked King by Holly Black: this comes out tomorrow but my copy will be here... at some point in my life, presumably. It hasn't shipped out yet. I'm dealing with that just fine. (I am not.) (That said I do have a midterm on Thursday so it's probably a good thing that I won't have any distractions available until later...)

2. The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi: Heist story heist story HEIST STORY

3. King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo: This has been on too many of my lists recently.

4. Crown of Feathers by Niki Pau Preto: This has... also been on too many of my lists recently. I do have an ARC that I REALLY need to get to.

5. Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner: I don't know how people who've been into this series for two decades have managed the wait, I read everything that was out last fall and I am STILL super impatient for the ending.


6. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He: Pretty cover. Also it sounds interesting, but I'm just deep enough to admit I am a shallow person who was mostly drawn by the cover.

7. Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse: Trail of Lightning was one of my favourites from 2018, and I am really, really looking forward to revisiting the world Rebecca Roanhorse has crafted, as well as (and especially) Maggie, who was definitely one of my favourite characters to come out of last year.

8. Ruse by Cindy Pon: I'm going to need to revisit Want before picking up Ruse, but I'm really looking forward to it!

9. We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faisal: This was one that I didn't become interested in because of the cover. Not that it isn't a great cover, but it just didn't have a cover when I first learned of it.

10. The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu: The thing about The Shadowhunters Chronicles is that I've kind of just accepted at this point that I'm here forever...

25 comments :

  1. I do hope you enjoy all of these, Kelly - I've seen Leigh's on several lists already. :) Happy 2019 reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the sense that King of Scars is going to be on A LOT of lists this week! (A few more weeks... just a few more weeks...)

      Delete
  2. Return of the Thief. Squee. Adding it to my list. Yay! One good thing about doing this activity, now I am really excited about a few upcoming books. Since I usually don't pay attention to releases this is a new position for me. Hope you get to read a few of your anticipated books. My Anticipated Releases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RETURN OF THE THIEF. Admiration again for all the folks who've been hanging in there for the two decades that this series has been released over...

      Looking at everyone else's lists this week, I'm realising that there are a lot of upcoming releases that I wasn't aware of. TTT is great for being introduced to new books and perspectives.

      Delete
  3. I hope that you love these books when you get around to them. :-) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wicked King... I so need to start that series. I've heard so many good things about Holly Black and how she writes the fae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does fae really well! They're a difficult balance to strike, I think, and she generally does a good job of managing it. (My favourite for her fae is actually The Darkest Part of the Forest, but The Cruel Prince is good too.)

      Delete
  5. They haven't shipped out The Wicked King yet? I'm mad for you. I agree that the cover of Descendant of the Crane is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hit and miss with preorders for me, sometimes they get there a week early, sometimes they get lost for a month. It's a slightly tense way to do things, and I'm not super crazy about it. Hopefully it'll arrive by the end of the week (when I actually have time to read things).

      Delete
    2. You must live outside the US. Amazon is really good at getting my books to me by 12:30 on release day (my mail is almost always there by then). They decided to send Wildcard by UPS and it came late... I ended up getting a digital copy too so I could start reading it early.

      Delete
    3. I do live outside of the US! I don't usually order through Amazon, usually I have my books shipped to the store. (I really like being in bookstores, so it's partly an excuse to hang out in a place with books.) (Apparently The Wicked King has now shipped, so hopefully it'll arrive by Friday, when I am free of midterms at last.)

      Delete
  6. King of Scars and Descendant of The Crane were both on my list this week too. I am also looking forward to The Gilded Wolves and We Hunt The Flame, even though they didn't make my list.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/08/top-ten-tuesday-193/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just... a lot of book to look forward to in 2019! Hopefully they all go well for both of us!

      Delete
  7. The Wicked King and King of Scars are on so many lists today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are definitely excited about them! I think it helps, too, that they're coming out so soon (in the case of The Wicked King, today), so they're on people's minds as they put together their lists.

      Delete
  8. I'm not much for YA fantasy, which is too bad because it looks like there are lots of amazing books in this genre coming out in 2019! So exciting for YA fantasy lovers. I hope you enjoy these.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storm of Locusts really is the only thing on my list this week that isn't YA fantasy or sci-fi! (Well... The Queen's Thief series was technically middle grade but it's possible that we left that behind around the time that severed limbs entered the picture...)

      Delete
  9. Ah! So many great titles!! I'm so excited for 2019 and all the good books it's about to bring us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are SO MANY fantastic-sounding books are coming out in 2019. Hopefully we both find some new favourites!

      Delete
  10. I'd love to read more by Leigh Bardugo! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance too sometime, especially if you haven't picked up Six of Crows yet!

      Delete
  11. I have already preordered my copy of Storm of Locusts, I am so excited. I'm very interested in We Hunt the Flame. It sounds fantastic. I hope you got your hands on The Wicked King. I just finished it today. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wicked King has since arrived! Storm of Locusts is in my planned next batch of preorders... I'm definitely really looking forward to when it comes out!

      Delete
  12. This is such a good list! I got lucky enough to read The Gilded Wolves and really liked it, I hope you will too :)
    I can't wait to read We Hunt The Flame, that one sounds really amazing :D
    Happy reading <3

    ReplyDelete