Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Ten Most Recent Additions to My To-Read List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.



1. Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff: This was announced today. I'm weirdly intrigued by vampires as a concept and I like when people do weird and interesting stuff with the concept. Between this, and Vampires Never Get Old edited by Natalie C. Parker (2019), and The Beautiful by Renee Ahdieh (2018), I'm kind of wondering vampires are making a comeback (did they go anywhere? I don't know)... and I'm delighted about that.

2. Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love edited by Elsie Chapman: This one wound up on the list after Rebecca Roanhorse said that she "took the prompt a little literally" and also

3. Gathering Moss by Robin Wall Kimmerer: I loved Braiding Sweetgrass, Robin Wall Kimmerer has a lovely writing style and she's a great reader as well, so I'll probably be listening to the audiobook of Gathering Moss as well.

4. Wicked Fox by Kat Cho: I think I mostly put this on my TBR because I like the cover and the synopsis sounded fun.

5. Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: This one sounds amazing! (Also, because I am shallow, I have to confess that I also love the cover).


6. Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh: I'm so excited to read some of Emily Tesh's original work!

7. The Green Children of Woolpit by J. Anderson Coats: Pretty cover! Fae wildness!

8. The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu: *looks at Shadowhunters stuff* well I guess I'm just here forever.

9. The Weight of the Stars by K. Ancrum: This f/f novel sounds a little surreal and a little sci fi and I'm very curious.

10. The Wicker King by K. Ancrum: This I mostly added because Cait of Paper Fury has recommended it a number of times, and I figured it if I was going to pick up The Weight of the Stars, I might as well put this on the TBR as well!

Recent adds that don't have covers yet:


  • Fantastic Worlds: Impossible Places edited by Dhonielle Clayton: this was just recently announced and I am SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED. Not only does it feature a lot of favourite authors, but it's also WNDB's first short story collection!
  • Renegades #3 by Marissa Meyer: I finally listened to Archenemies, so I finally got around to adding the book to my TBR.
  • The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black: I have a habit of not adding a book in a series to my TBR list until I've finished the book before it. 
  • Between Earth and Sky by Rebecca Roanhorse: The moment I heard about this one, it was on the TBR. I loved Trail of Lightning, and the short synopsis available (and Rebecca Roanhorse's tweets) about Between Earth and Sky sound fantastic.


24 comments :

  1. I haven't read a single novel by Marissa Meyer, but am still really excited about giving one of her books a chance. SO many people tell me her Lunar Chronicles are good, but I think, judging by the plot alone, it's her novel, Renegade that I'm most curious about. Hope you enjoy all of these TBR additions, Kelly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lunar Chronicles are my favourite of Marissa Meyer's work, but Renegades also has a lot going for it! (I liked Archenemies quite a lot as well, it improved on Renegades for me.) Hope you get a chance to pick it up soon!

      Delete
  2. Empire of the Vampire definitely sounds intriguing! I'm always down for a vampire story done right or in a quirky or new way. Hopefully that will be awesome! And Between Earth and Sky is one I'll take a look at- I haven't read Roanhorse's first book yet but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little biased because my feeling about Trail of Lightning is that everyone should read it and then come back and tell me so I can talk their ears off about it.

      Hopefully Empire of the Vampire works out well. I don't love the title (it's a little too close to rhyming and for some reason I'm feeling judge-y about that) but I'm intrigued by the idea of the story!

      Delete
    2. You're right about the title- it doesn't sound right? Empire and Vampire... I don't know, it doesn't totally work. Maybe it'll change... but either way, hope it's good! And Trail of Lightning I've heard nothing but good things about!

      Delete
  3. Hungry Hearts intrigues me. A wonderful list! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES YES YES vampires are making a comeback! I just added EotV to my Goodreads as well! And I've preordered The Red Scrolls of Magic because it's MALEC and Cassie Clare can just have all my money.

    Here's my TTT if you want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what creative things are done with vampires in the next few years! There's a lot to work with there, I think?

      Delete
    2. Agreed! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. I've have Wicked Fox on my TBR for a while, but I hadn't seen the cover release. So pretty!
    My TTT for this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover dropped recently! I really like the colours. (And also the moon. The moon is pretty great.)

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, I LOVE The Wicker King. I really need a sequel to that one ASAP. I definitely recommend.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I'm looking forward to picking it up.

      Delete
  7. I love Silvia Moreno-Garcia and am really looking forward to Gods of Jade and Shadow. I need it so bad. Hope you enjoy all these!
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't picked up anything of hers yet, but I'm looking forward to this being my first one! (Or maybe I could work through some of her earlier works... and so the TBR continues to grow...)

      Delete
  8. The never ending TBR List! Haha The Queen of Nothing is on mine too and I am only halfway through The Wicked King

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow wait until you get to the end. (And join us. In cliffhanger-land.) (I actually feel like The Wicked King has... about eight cliffhangers throughout the story.)

      Delete
  9. This is such a good list! I am curious about Hungry Hearts (love that cover!) and I really want to read The Wicker King as well, Cait and other bloggers' praise about it is making me so curious :)
    Happy reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wicker King is definitely something that only made it onto my list because other bloggers have RAVED about it, I don't know that it would have caught my attention based on the cover alone, or even the synopsis. Hungry Hearts sounds amazing, doesn't it? (And yeah, such a pretty cover.)

      Delete
  10. Ah The Queen of Nothing... That's due next year right? I haven't read The Cruel Prince yet but I hear good things about the series.
    Hope you get to some of these soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is out next year! A lot of the books on my list this week aren't out yet! The Cruel Prince is a good read, but if you're not a fan of cliffhangers it might be an idea to wait until just before The Queen of Nothing is out, and then power through the whole series back to back...

      Delete
  11. The cover of The Wicked Fox had me too, LOL. I saw it and knew I had to read it. The Queen of Nothing is on my TBR too. I must have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great cover. I know we are possibly not supposed to judge books by their covers, but I very much do. Especially where there's clearly been work and thought put into said cover.

      Delete