Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Places Mentioned In Books That I’d Like to Visit

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.




1. Middle-Earth. I'm going to be a cliche with this one but... yeah. I chose this particular book because I'm weirdly intrigued by the botany especially.

2. Thisby from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater: I love love love Thisby. I'd be happy to risk the carnivourous horses. (They're kind of a draw, honestly. I did part of my growing up getting nipped at by horses).

3. The Aurora from Airborn by Kenneth Oppel: well... just this entire world, but I think riding an airship would be fascinating to ride?

4. Just... the world of Shades of Milk and Honey by Marie Robinette Kowal: it's just quietly enchanting.

5. The Palace Pneumatic Station in The Goblin Emperor by Katherin Addison: the author creates such a fiddly world that I'd love to see. Specifically the pneumatics stations of the palace. I know it's kind of a minor setting that really only gets mentioned a few times but it sounds intriguing.


6. Fairfold from The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black: I know I'd run the risk of getting eaten by faeries but... I feel like I've already mentioned that that doesn't seem to be a significant deterrent for me.

7. Red London from  A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab: all of the Londons, really. Even the bad ones.

8. Weep from Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor: I fell in love with Weep the way Lazlo did. I really, really liked reading the buildup where he was doing all his research and whatnot.

9. This is another "the world of" one. I'm just really intrigued by the world of Cinder. I think because we got to see so many snapshots of it throughout the story? Also SPACE. I would love to see space.

10. Sorry-in-the-Vale from The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees Brennan: I guess I just like creepy little towns. I feel a little let down by the lack of talking ravens and ominous prophecies in my own town.

18 comments :

  1. Ooo! Glad to see Shades of Milk and Honey on a list! I own that book, but despite the JA references, I haven't yet read it. Happy Top Ten Tuesday, Kelly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is VERY Jane Austen-esque! Marie Robinette Kowal really nails the prose and weaves magic into the world fantastically.

      Delete
  2. Sorry-in-the-Vale is such an excellent choice. :-) Brilliant list. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super quaint. So long as you don't get on the bad side of magicians into ritual sacrifice.

      Delete
  3. Middle Earth would definitely be top of my list! And I would love a world with airships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Airships would be incredible. The Hindenburg really ruined that one for us, didn't it? (Okay... so not just the Hindenburg. Also other aspects of reality and whatnot. But I digress.)

      Delete
  4. I thought of Middle-Earth, too -- but mostly just the Shire. Not too much interested in Mordor, the gloomy forests, the elves and their sad bit of woods...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad Elf forests would actually probably be my thing... I just really like forests, is the thing. And given that The Silmarillion is kind of my favourite of Tolkien's books... I also have a passing fondness for Elves, although I don't think I'd want to be one... I can't play the harp, for one thing.

      Delete
  5. Middle-Earth is a popular choice for good reason. I think it would be a very cool place to visit.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think partly because Tolkien put SO MUCH into building it, so it's easy to want to explore. It's just so faceted and no matter how much detail he put into the world, somehow I still find myself curious about what's off the edge of the maps...

      Delete
  6. I'd love to visit Red London too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/26/top-ten-tuesday-200/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds amazing. I'm not sure if I'd be crazy about the distinctive smell (I'm not much of a florals person) but I imagine I'd get used to it!

      Delete
  7. Middle-Earth would be an excellent place to visit! Haven't read any of the others so I can't say much about those. :)

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them would... probably not be super safe to visit (due to um... fae happenings and sorcery and whatnot) but... I still think they would also be incredible.

      Delete
  8. I think you might be crazy. Carnivorous horses and fairies? Weep during Strange the Dreamer was a place I didn't want to go either. But I'd like to see Middle Earth and space.

    If you ever do go to these places, I hope you stay away from the things that want to eat you ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possible that I might be accused of a somewhat lacking self-preservation instinct...

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite places, despite being fictional.

      Delete