Monday, March 16, 2015

Re-read Challenge: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

WHEN I First Read
I first read this in January of last year? (Apparently, it feels like it has been longer).

WHAT I Remember
I remembered the general concept of the story (the vampire-disease, the Coldtowns). I roughly recalled the characters and the plot. I still recalled the feeling of the novel  as well.

WHY I Wanted to Re-Read
I've been on a bit of a Holly Black kick this year... I read and really enjoyed The Darkest Part of the Forest, and finally got around to The Spiderwick Chronicles (I have a beautiful bind-up edition). So I just decided on a whim to reread it while I was browsing at the library. As one does.

HOW I Felt After Re-Reading
This book was more intense for me this time. I mentioned the feeling book before, and it hit me harder this time. There's a feeling of slow decay to the entire world, which I find delightful (apparently I have a thing for it). All of the  Holly Black books that I've read have an almost Gothic feel to them, and I really like that.

I don't recall noticing it last time I read it, but this book is GORY. Now, gore doesn't bother me, but if its something that squicks you out, I would probably give this book a pass. For me, it made the reading experience more vivid. Overall I found myself really enjoying reading it again. It has a strange sort of style, which I really enjoyed reading.
"...the world I remade with my terrible mercy."
 Random quote that I bookmarked while reading... the downside of mercy plays a interesting role in this book, and morality is very grey thing. I find I'm never quite sure what I would prefer to happen in the end, for Tana. I know what I would choose, but for her, I don't know.

WOULD I Re-Read Again
Yes, probably eventually. I feel like I almost always say that, don't I? I'm kind of a chronic re-reader.

No comments :

Post a Comment