Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Top Ten ALL TIME Favorite Authors

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly feature created at The Broke and The Bookish.

I've realised that a lot of my top authors are not authors who haven't put out books that I didn't like. Some of them have done that, and are still among my favourites. I think I'm the sort of reader who it would be unrealistic to expect that I love everything from any given author, even if they are a favourite generally. Anyway, have a selection of my many favourite authors, in no particular order.

1. Maggie Stiefvater: She's a strange case for me, in that I haven't actually read all of (or actually that much of) her work. I just haven't been able to get through the Shiver trilogy. I've loved everything else, though.

2. Holly Black: I've been on a bit of a Holly Black kick recently. There's something very sensory about her writing sometimes, and I really like the gothic edge.

3. Kenneth Oppel: I adore Airborn and the rest of that trilogy, and I vividly member reading the Silverwing trilogy on a couch in the summer a year or so before I started high school.

4. Marie Rutkoski: I'll admit that I've only read two of her novels, but I've really enjoyed them.

5. Rick Riordan: His writing has cooled for me in the past year or so, but I loved Percy Jackson and the Olympians and I also quite liked The Kane Chronicles.

6. Sarah Rees Brennan: The Lynburn Legacy was a lot of fun to read, and I loved her Gothic Tuesdays (if you haven't read those posts yet, have a look).

7. J. R. R. Tolkien: If you told me last year that he would be here, I would look at you in suspicion. I've always really liked Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit was one of the books read aloud to me when I was little, but this year I read The Silmarillion, and I'm really coming to appreciate the world Tolkien created.

8. Eoin Colfer: My love of his Artemis Fowl series is eternal. The Supernaturalist was a delight as well.

9. Marissa Meyer: I'm finding The Lunar Chronicles really enjoyable so far.

10. J. K. Rowling: Harry Potter was a series I grew up with, and a major contributor to me being the voracious reader I now am. (Here's a few others.)

5 comments :

  1. MAGGIE MAGGIE MAGGIE. I love seeing her on so many lists. She's my #1, forever and ever. I love that woman.

    Rick Riordan, Rowling, and Kenneth Oppel were all contenders for me. Have you read his Frankenstein series yet? BEAUTIFUL. <3

    My TTT: http://yearningtoread.blogspot.com/2015/04/top-ten-tuesday-all-time-favorite.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scorpio Races is one of my favourite books ever.

      I actually started Kenneth Oppel's Frankenstein series, but for whatever reason I ended up returning it to the library before I finished it. I've loved a lot of his other work, though, so I'll probably give it another try at some point.

      Delete
  2. Maggie Stiefvater is on my list too, as is JK Rowling and Rick Riordan.

    You can read my full TTT here: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/top-ten-tuesdays/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie Stiefvater seems to be a popular choice (judging from the comments...) I've really liked a lot of her work. I haven't liked Rick Riordan's more recent releases quite as much but I really enjoyed PJO.

      Delete