Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Harry Potter Re-read Week: Day 1

So today I'm supposed to read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Talk about a trip down memory lane. I haven't actually started yet because I'm a procrastinator like that.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
This is the copy that I have. It isn't the one I originally read. That book was from the library, and my mother and father took turns reading it to me. It was the first "real" novel that I decided to read on my own. I must have been at most seven. I bought a copy afterward. It then got destroyed and my sister picked up an identical one secondhand. This version is paperback, and 332 pages long. I hope I'll be able to finish it tonight.
This isn't the first time I've reread this series. In a lot of ways, it was my childhood. I love these books. They probably had an effect on who I became as a person. Unlike a lot of people, it wasn't the book that got me into reading -I was a reader before that. But I loved these books and I still do. I believe that this is a book parents should introduce their children to this story -and if you give me the "it is satanic" shtick, well, you're entitled to your opinion, and I am equally entitled to think you're completely wrong. I mean this is a story about doing what is right and good, not matter how easy it is to do what is wrong, and the power of love and friendship and hope. And that's a really important message for people, especially kids. Besides the big message, there are all sorts of wonderful little messages. And magic and humour and amazingness. 

Yep, I should start reading soon. Or I won't be sleeping until a past midnight.

No comments :

Post a Comment