Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Top Ten Popular Authors I've Never Read

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly feature created and hosted at The Broke and The Bookish
1. Veronica Roth. Divergent is hugely popular, and I have a couple of friends who've read it, but I somehow just don't think that I would enjoy it. Something about the premise just doesn't interest me, in spite of how incredibly popular the series has been.

2. Lauren Oliver. Again, I went through a major dystopian phase (and I still enjoy them), but the Delirium trilogy just didn't interest me. I'm very weary of dramatic star-crossed love. And love triangles. I may have dodged a bullet, because I know most people were disappointed with the ending of the trilogy. I know she's written other novels, but so far, nothing has caught my eye.

3. Neil Gaiman. I've heard his work is marvelous, and I do mean to pick it up some time, but I haven't done so yet.

4. Elizabeth Wein. I have heard wonderful things about Code Name Verity, but I don't think I could do something that emotionally intense at this point. I might pick it up eventually, but I'm not sure if I can do something heartbreaking right now.

5. Tamora Pierce. I mean to read something of hers at some point. I really do. I have a friend who is a big fan of her work, and I am a big fan of high fantasy.

6. Jennifer L. Armentrout. Again, this is a case of none of her books appealing to me. Partly because I'm a horrible cover judge with an aversion to the "people clinging to each other" brand of cover, and partly because I'm not generally a fan of the sort of romance that it looks like she writes (of the fixation-y variety).

7. Richelle Mead. I have developed a severe vampire-prejudice as time has gone on. I read Twilight, became pretty disillusioned with it, and the only vampire book that I've really read since is The Coldest Girl In Cold Town, by Holly Black. Also because a friend of mine was reading these in elementary school (as in "in the eighth grade") and that somehow put me off of the series (?)

8. Rae Carson.  I haven't read  The Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy, though I probably should at some point. Once again, I do enjoy high fantasy.

9. Maria V. Snyder. I just somehow haven't gotten around to reading any of her books, though Poison Study has been on my to read list for quite some time now.

10. Orson Scott Card. I know this is kind of considered an essential as science fiction goes, but I haven't read anything that he has written. Part of it is because I don't think I like the author much as a person, though I usually try to separate that out in my reading.

1 comment :

  1. Lots of good ones on your list and lots I still need to read!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete