Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Ten (Okay, Six) Bookish Things I Have Quit or am in the Process of Quitting

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly feature created at The Broke and The Bookish.

1. Dog-Earring Pages: I stopped doing this when I really got into library books. It's weird, actually, because it isn't due to my not wanting my books to look used, I've talked at length about how I do not always treat my books gently. It's the the dog-earring that bothers me. I especially don't love it on library books, for no reason that I can fathom. It's just one of those inexplicable tings.

2. James Patterson: Does this count? After the absoloute trainwreck that was Maximum Ride, I resolved not do put myself through his writing again. The way he tells stories really doesn't work for me, and just leaves me frustrated. I actually spend time ignoring Amazon's suggestions that I purchase James Patterson books.

3. Forced love triangles: Well, kind of. It depends on the book, but I've just started dropping books that have weird controlling love triangles in them. I just give up.

4. Trying to force myself through books I'm not enjoying. I'm still working on this one... I'll always inevitably read some, but I'm trying to recognize when something just isn't working for me.

5. I used to try to read more contemporary novels, but I think I'll change up how I do them.

6. Buying books I don't actually know that I'll like. I was a little weird with my book buying in the past six months, but it is now back to only buying books that I'm really interested in.

4 comments :

  1. I used to be bad about number 1. I solved my dog-earing problem by designating a spot in a drawer for bookmarks. Whenever I go to a signing or a writing conference, I stock up on authors' bookmarks. I've never bought a book based on seeing a bookmark, though. As advertising, they're nice but not very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever bought a book because of a bookmark either, but that might be because my bookmarks are usually whatever I can find to keep my page- very rarely are my bookmarks actually designed to be bookmarks.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with #3!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/06/top-ten-tuesday-25/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like love triangles are the kind of thing that are a bit difficult to do in a way that's enjoyable for the reader, and most books seem to miss that mark.

      Delete