Sunday, February 14, 2016

Review: Stars Above

Title: Stars Above
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Re-Telling
Goodreads

A Quick Introduction: This novella collection contains the stories of Cinder, Wolf, Thorne, Cress, Winter, and Jacin from before the series, as well as Cinder and Kai's first meeting from his perspective, a retelling of The Little Mermaid, and an epilogue set two years after Winter.

Out of Ten: 8/10

Review at a Glance: An fun and clever short story collection that expanded on the Lunar Chronicles.

Review: Reviewing this is a little strange because they are technically separate stories. They are all in the same world, and do have a certain continuity to them. I'd only read Glitches before starting this collection, and that was a while ago.

It was a lot of fun to get an insight into how a lot of the characters grew into the people we meet in the series itself. The stories are told with Marissa Meyer's signature fast-paced and fun style, and it lends itself well to short stories. While the tone of each story does vary slightly depending on the narrator and the situation the characters were it.

The Little Android was also a fun read, though I wasn't nearly as invested in it as I was in the ones focused on characters I was familiar with. And then, if course there was Something Old, Something New, the wedding story, which was definitely among my favourites. It was great to see our favourite characters finally able to relax a bit! I had a lot of fun reading it. I was so delighted just to see them all being happy and not running for their lives.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this  collection. I'm really looking forward to the graphic novel spin-off of the series (starring Iko) as well!


Check out the rest of the series:



5 comments :

  1. I need to buy this! I can't wait to read some of the short stories that weren't free on line and I'm so excited to experience the wedding story! Glad to hear you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the wedding was just about everyone's favourite! But then, who doesn't love a nice, non-terrifying epilogue?

      Delete
  2. The wedding is my favorite story. I just finished all of them in Stars Above today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so lovely to see all the characters relax for once, not running for their lives!

      Delete