Friday, February 22, 2019

Audiobook Review: The Gilded Wolves



Title: The Gilded Wolves

Author: Roshani Chokshi
Read By: Laurie Catherine Winkel, P. J. Ochlan
Release Date: January 15, 2019
Goodreads        Chapters        IndieBound        Libro.fm

Treasure-hunter and wealthy hotelier Séverin Montagnet-Alarie has long thought himself willing to do anything reclaim his birthright as head of one of the houses of the powerful Order of Babel. Now he has been ordered to find an artifact the Order seeks, he and his team will all be putting much at risk. And, in this retrieval, they cannot afford to fail. 

Out of Ten: 6/10

Review at a Glance: While it wasn't everything I was hoping it would be, I still enjoyed the experience of this Belle Epoque heist story.


Review: I wasn't as into this one as I was hoping to be. It isn't that I disliked it, per say, I was just hoping to like it more than I did. 

I do think part of what hindered my enjoyment of this one was the fact that I listened to this one rather than reading a physical copy. (I am somewhat limited by availability, and the audiobook was what was available). The crux of it is that I wasn't super enthusiastic about the P. J. Ochlan as a narrator for this book. His style was jarringly brusque when compared with Laurie Catherine Winkel's, I think? I think this story might have felt more cohesive had it just had one narrator reading it, anyway. It isn't a dual POV first person as it is (it's 3rd person limited, switching between 4+ characters), so the narrator change just based on gender didn't really add anything to the audiobook as an experience? It's quite possible that it's a matter of personal preference for me but I just... prefer either to have character-designated narrators, or just to have once narrator for the whole thing. 

When I actually managed to get a text copy rather than an audiobook (thank you, libraries!) I did have a more immersive experience than with the audiobook! While I didn't find the world quite as vividly described as the world of The Star-touched Queen... I just found I didn't have as strong a sense of place. Individual bits were really lushly described; the food and clothing (especially Laila's), but the place itself... less so. I mean, I've been to Paris, but somehow I didn't have very much luck in picturing it as imagined in this story.

The characters themselves are vividly conceptualised in that they have very clearly defined and distinct traits. It was definitely a strength of the story, especially given how it jumped from point of view to point of view. While the place itself didn't feel quite as vivid as I was hoping, the characters certainly did! They all have their own strengths and struggles, and it was impressive to see them all work together. I really like friend groups because there's a chance to explore a lot of different dynamics there, and that was definitely a strength of this story. (Found family! The Squad! I am here for this!)

The plot itself left something to be desired for me. I'm a big fan of heist stories in general but I do think I'm a bit picky about them! There's a certain balance about how much of the plan is laid out as groundwork and how much is a reveal as the story goes on, and I don't think this one quite struck it, at least not for me. Part of the joy of a heist story is watching the plan unfold (and inevitably watch it go awry and require improvisation). My brain kept wandering off during major reveal scenes because I just wasn't engaged in the plot of the story in the way I usually am in heist stories. I think this was in part a feature of how vaguely defined the magic system and structure of the world were. You can only really reveal a clever plot with lots of twists one the framework of the world is established because it's all about working within the framework in clever and unexpected ways. The lack of a sense of place in this way weakened the plot itself.

Despite my struggles with parts of this story, I did still overall enjoy it, and I definitely got invested in some of the the characters, so I'm looking forward to seeing where this tale takes them next!



                



6 comments :

  1. I love Roshani Chokshi's Star-Touched Queen duology and sort of expected the same kind of lush writing, so I also was kind of taken aback by how this one was told. That being said, like you said, her characters are so well done. I really love the found-family trope as well and I think Chokshi does a wonderful drop dropping readers into this crew, rather than having us watch a crew being built. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really different storytelling style from that of The Star-Touched Queen, I've been trying to figure out if that's on purpose or not... there were definitely hints of what I'm used to from Roshani Chokshi's work, I'm hoping they'll be more in the next book!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oooo yeah, audiobook vs physical makes a difference for me as well and vice versa (though I haven't tried vice versa). I'm glad you enjoyed the character dynamics - I loved the dynamics in Six of Crows and I feel they'll be somewhat similar in The Gilded Wolves. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one as much as you hoped you would, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like in my case part of it was that I had my expectations too high going in? Also that I found myself comparing it too often to Six of Crows, which is just a more "Kelly" book overall, so that probably wasn't totally fair. It's possible that I'm doomed to judge all existing magical heist books with it as a yardstick... That said, it was still a good reading experience!

      Delete
  3. Lovely review! It's true that the writing in this one felt a little different from The Star-Touched Queen, but I loved these characters so, so much :) I'm sorry to hear you didn't love that one as much as you expected to, hopefully the next book will be better, fingers crossed :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While it wasn't everything that I was hoping, I'm still super thrilled whenever I hear that someone loved it! I think I quite possibly set my expectations too high (I am the type of person who really should make an effort not to have expectations, they mess with my reading experience), and then some of my own personal preferences.

      Delete