Wednesday, June 3, 2015

April and May DNF

Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
I started this during a read-a-thon, but that couldn't compel me to finish it. This one wasn't for me. It just felt like the same old story somehow. Mare was a character that I neither connected to nor had any interest in. The romantic subplot felt forced, and I wasn't a fan of the love... shape... of some sort that was developing. I didn't find that the plot flowed for me in a way that kept me engaged when combined with my lack of investment in Mare. Also, I kept waiting for her to get a paper cut and blow her cover.
The Shadow Society
Title: Shadow Society
Author: Marie Rutkoski
After how much I loved The Winner's Curse, I hoped I might like the rest of Marie Rutkoski's work just as much, but this one turned out to be a miss for me. This was just an all-round weaker feeling book, it leaned heavily on some story and character tropes that I've seen too often recently, and I ended up doing nothing so much as losing interest and wandering off. I think this was more a case of "right now its more of the same" than that this was a terrible book, and its possible that I went into it with my expectations too high. 

2 comments :

  1. The thing about Mare is that she constantly talks about the importance of hiding herself and playing her role but as soon as some Silver even sneers at the mention of a Red, Mare immediately goes into angry FUS RO DAH mode :/ That girl wouldn't know the word "discreet" if it hit her in the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a little bit... aggressive. I might try to finish it at some point, but probably not for a while.

      Delete