Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2015

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly feature created at The Broke and The Bookish.



1. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black: Faeries, sarcasm, lady knights, and a strange little town... this is where I'm at.

2. Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headly: My review turned into gushing a little, actually. This is such a bizarre and beautiful book.

3. The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony diTerlizzi: I find I often LOVE middle grade fantasy novels, and this one is great. The series is so much fun, and I am a huge fan of Tony diTerlizzi's gothic styled illustrations.

4. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir: I enjoyed this debut, and I'm looking forward to reading more in the story.

5. The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski: This was a great second book in the trilogy, it really built up the story, and I'm looking forward the final book.



6. The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien: I'm still a little astonished that this is my favourite Tolkien work to date. I really found myself appreciating the world and stories. I don't like it in the way that I like other books... I value it in a very different way from other books that I've read.

7. End of Days by Susan Ee: I just had so much fun with these books! They're both fun in a funny way and fun in a fast-paced awesome way. I mean, there's lots of violence and darkness, but I still had a lot of fun reading them.

8. Empire of Night by Kelley Armstrong: I'm quite enjoying this series so far, even when it has its frustrating moments.

9. Rook by Sharon Cameron: I think I might have to eventually read The Scarlet Pimpernel, though I will possibly be disappointed by the lack of cross-dressing, since I really enjoyed the retellings/ tributes to it that I've read.

10. Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman: I remember reading this at an abnormal speed for this book, because it isn't really a fast paced novel. I enjoyed finally getting the sequel to Seraphina.

17 comments :

  1. I have been hearing so many great things about Rook lately, I'm really thinking about picking it up! I also really enjoyed the Winner's Crime, and I'm looking forward to the final book in the trilogy.
    Mallory @ The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to The Winner's Kiss (though I'm a little sad that the title breaks the "C"-at-the-start-of-the-last-word combo). (Perhaps it was only a combo in my head though.)

      Delete
  2. I just got a copy of An Ember in the Ashes today and that seems to be a favorite of a lot of people. I hope I like as much as you did! :) Great list! My TTT: http://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-10-tuesday-top-10-books-of-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though it wasn't perfect, I still really enjoyed AEitA (I initialized it because I'm lazy like that). I'd be delighted to here what you thought of it when you finish!

      Delete
  3. I keep meaning to pick up Magonia. I see it in the store and read the jacket and think it sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a bizarre, delightful book. I found it really enchanting.

      Delete
  4. The Silmarillion is often overshadowed by The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, but I think it's brilliant in its own right, albeit a bit heavy on Middle-Earth history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a very... different sort of book, mostly because of the intent behind writing it. It really is a collection of stories (some incomplete) and ramblings (Chapter 14, anyone?). When I started I wondered how on Earth I was going to remember all the names, and by the end I knew pretty much all of the main players by at least three. I wasn't expecting to get that into it... but here I am...

      Delete
  5. Great list! I really need to read Magonia and The Darkest Part of the Forest. I'm hearing a lot of good things about Rook too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give Magonia and TDPotF a go at some point! Rook was great fun too. (Bring on the cross-dressing vigilantes, I say.)

      Delete
  6. This is a great list! I loved Magonia, An Ember in the Ashes and The Winner's Crime as well! I need to get to The Darkest Part of the Forest soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list of sequels to look forward to for next year is incredibly long already, especially for The Winner's Crime. Marie Rutkoski kind of left us hanging there.

      I had a great time reading The Darkest Part of the Forest. I've really discovered an appreciation for Holly Black's writing this year.

      Delete
  7. I've been putting off The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Winner's Crime for some unknown reason. I really need to bump them up in my TBR. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at this point it might be best to put of The Winner's Crime until just before the release date, then you won't be stuck in suspense for a year.

      My TBR list continues to grow, despite my attempts to curb it. So many books, so little time!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished An Ember in the Ashes this morning and LOVED it - happy to see it made your list. I have Magonia and I've been meaning to reading it for over a month now! I think it might be next :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad An Ember in the Ashes has a sequel! Magonia was a lovely book, I'd love to here what you think of it!

      Delete