Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Five Frosty Reads (and Five Comfort Reads)



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

In putting this together I've learned that I have barely more winter books than I have summer books. I just read wildly, apparently. (I do have some autumn books but... not so much winter ones.)



1. East by Edith Pattou: East of the Sun, West of the Moon re-telling. (Which I really like. I just really like East of the Sun, West of the Moon in general, but this is my favourite retelling so far...)

2. Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel: okay fine, they've mostly cold because they're so far up in the sky but it still counts. Also I will take any excuse to push this one because. It's one of my favourite trilogies ever. Airships! Creatures! Vivid characters!

3. Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident: salt about the movie aside, I still really, really like these books.

4. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater: not my favourite of the series but Sinner is so incredibly summer that it 1000% wouldn't have fit at all.

5. Without a Summer by Mary Robinette Kowal: also not the first book in a series. It's set in 1819, which has been referred to as the Year without Summer because... it didn't really have a summer. (Thanks, volcaoes). This series seamlessly blends magic into regency-era England.


6. The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison: most of this one does actually take place in the winter, but it's also just a really nice book to curl up with.

7. Fire by Kristin Cashore: wow we really need to get an updated, non-whitewashed cover, huh? Bitterblue probably suited the theme better in terms of wintery-ness but. Fire is my favourite.

8. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor: mostly because I'm looking forward to rereading this one before picking up Muse of Nightmares, but also because I find the beginning where Lazlo is just... doing research... very relaxing to read?

9. Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills: a contemporary? On my list? It's more likely than you think. (Or it is, at least, when it's Emma Mills.) It's a FRIENDSHIP BOOK.

10. Lockwood and co. by Jonathan Stroud: okay so content-wise there is nothing particularly relaxing about these books, but the audiobooks are just one of my comfort reads now for some reason.

14 comments :

  1. Without a Summer looks as if it creates a world that would be so lovely to step inside. I have book one in this series, but haven't read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is a good read! It isn't really fast-paced or anything but it's really an astonishingly good integration of magic into the time and storytelling style. If you get a chance to pick it up, I hope it goes well for you!

      Delete
  2. I like a good airship story so Skybreaker definitely looks interesting! And Shiver just SOUNDS like a wintry read haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I exist in a perpetual state of sliding the Airborn trilogy across the table to people. It's definitely tied for my favourite in terms of stories ft. airships because of how naturally that element is pulled in? (And we've FINALLY got nice, matching covers for the trilogy. So there's that.)

      Delete
  3. I've long been interested in The Little Ice Age and The Year Without a Summer... even though that's not my favorite genre, now I want to read it, LOL. I love Strange the Dreamer and Muse of Nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Little Ice Age is really interesting! It was kind of a case study in some of my environmental science courses, actually. I'm really looking forward to (finally get around to) picking up Muse of Nightmares!

      Delete
  4. I've heard nothing but good things about Artemis Fowl. You're making me nudge it closer and closer to the top of my TBR pile.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *subtly nudges Artemis Fowl book further up your TBR pile*

      Delete
  5. A lot (ahem, all*) of these sound so good! I have such a soft spot for Artemis Fowl. And Strange the Dreamer is one of my next books on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever fully get over the Artemis Fowl series... there's just something uniquely magical about it. (And there's going to be a spin-off series! I'm both nervous and excited...)

      Hope Strange the Dreamer goes well for you!

      Delete
  6. Great choices! East is definitely a great winter read, and Strange the Dreamer was relaxing, I agree. It's the perfect book to curl up with. Skybreaker is one I'd love to check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *casually slides Airborn, Skybreaker, and Starclimber across the table* They're really good. I'd love to hear what you think, if you do wind up getting a chance to pick them up!

      Delete
  7. I have been considering Strange the Dreamer for a little while now. One of these days I will get to it! Great list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if/when you get a chance to pick it up!

      Delete