Friday, January 4, 2019

9th Annual End Of Year Survey

The Annual End of Year Survey is hosted each year by Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner.

2018 READING STATS

Number Of Books You Read: 102 total, according to Goodreads
Number of Re-Reads: 12 of my total were rereads, more were listening to audiobooks of books I've also already read
Genre You Read The Most From: fantasy


best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2018?

(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2018 release vs. backlist)


        1. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo was... sigh... not excellent for me. A lot of bloggers whose tastes usually line up okay with mine really enjoyed it, so I went in hopeful but I wound up kind of dragging myself through it. At this point I don't even really remember much of the story. I remember the romance was infuriating for me and I really didn't like the characters... Likewise, Windersong by S. Jae-Jones was not a favourite this year.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? 

The audiobook for The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid surprised me by being a book that I've found myself thinking about ever since I listened to it. I think it was the saddest book that I read this year. 


 
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan, I think? I didn't read it this year (well... I did listen to the audiobook... twice) but I did recommend it a lot. I also did a twitter thread while listening to the audiobook.

 5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?

Best Series: Hands down my favourite new-to-me series was The Queen's Thief, which I finally got around to. I know it's over 20 years old but I've strategically timed things so I only have a few months until The Return of the Thief.


Best Sequel: The Lady's Guide to Petticoats of Piracy by Mackenzi Lee, or Smoke and Iron by Rachel Caine

Best Series Conclusion: I think my favourite was The Empty Grave by Jonathan Stroud

 6. Favorite new author you learned of in 2018?

Rebecca Roanhorse, author of Trail of Lightning.


7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan! She was also a runner-up for the last question. This is a surprise on a lot of levels because I don't think I expected to pick up a romance, do to my unromantic nature. Seriously, I'm pretty sure I was voted Least Useful for Romance Advice. I make a hobby of hunting down books featuring historical heroines doing science, and this one came recommended. 

  8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Books that I found hard to put down include: The Cruel Prince, Trail of Lightning, and The Empty Grave

 9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

The Cruel Prince, probably, before picking up The Wicked King

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?

I'm going to go with a book I haven't mentioned here yet: The Goblins of Bellwater. Mostly because the beautiful cover was the reason I initially picked up the book.


11. Most memorable character of 2018?


Maggie Hoskie, the lead of Trail of Lightning... I spent about a quarter of my review gushing about her, actually. I feel like I've featured this book too much and we're not even halfway through this survey.

Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?

Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore was really lovely. I should probably read it as well, because I had a fever pushing 40°C. Which probably did make it feel even more dreamy than Anna-Marie McLemore's writing already is but also probably means I didn't take everything in as attentively as I probably could have done.



13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is the one I keep coming back to.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?

The Thief, definitely. It's 22 years old, and I just never picked it up.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?

I'm going to need to start making notes of quotes, aren't I?

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?

Shortest: Son of the Dawn by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan
Longest: Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare

Lots of Cassandra Clare this year...

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most

I don't... know if anything really shocked me.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR

I have... a lot of ships but I don't know if any specific one takes the cake this year...

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Felicity and her girl squad from The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy! Also Claudia and Violet's friendship in Foolish Hearts.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

City of Ghosts by Victoria SchwabA lot of my reads this year were from old favourites, but let's go with something that I've not mentioned yet here. City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab.

21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:

The main reason I decided to listen to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was on a queer book recommendations list.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?

I think the closest I get to really having fictional crushes is having favourite characters so instead you just get a bonus second favourite character... Eugenides from The Thief and the rest of the series is a really fantastically crafted character.

23. Best 2018 debut you read?

Darius the Great is Not Okay by Adie Khorram was my last read (well, listen) of the year, and it was really good! 
Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

Hmm... let's go with another one I haven't mentioned yet: Strange Grace by Tessa Gratton was wonderfully atmospheric. I do like creepy towns, and creepy forests, and this book had both, closely and creepily connected to each other. 


25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

In Other Lands was technically a reread but the audiobook made the jokes feel kind of new again. 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?

Son of the Dawn was kind of emotional for me... I'm still excessively invested in these characters, I guess. I'm never going to be free of it and I've kind of accepted it at this point.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin is one that I haven't seen around anywhere else but it was definitely a highlight of my year.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was definitely the saddest book I read in 2018. Evelyn is a character who just feels like she's been stifled by the world, unable to be everything she is because the world wouldn't accept it.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?

Passing Strange

Passing Strange by Ellen Klages was pretty unique. It had a very different feel. I don't know if this was neccesarily the most unique... I feel like it's a 30+ way tie this year, but. This one definitely felt unique. Also I wanted an excuse to share the intense beauty of the cover, because it definitely makes my "most beautiful covers" list.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Wintersong made me more uncomfortable than mad. I just found the relationship more creepy than romantic... 


book-blogging

1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you learned of in 2018?

Some favourite new-to-me blogs:

2. Favorite post you wrote in 2018?

Hmm... probably Top Ten Books by North American Indigenous Authors that I've Read/Am Reading/ Am Looking Forward to Reading. It took me a while to put together, and also it was one of the few times I've put a spin on a Top Ten Tuesday post, I usually keep close to the prompt.

3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2018:

Well, I finally finished the Harry Potter photo series for my Instagram, so there's that.


4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events,  etc.)?

I went to a Chapters event when they hosted Uzma Jalaluddin, Nisha Sharma, and Tanaz Bhathena.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2018?

One of my favourite moments was being able to chat about In Other Lands with people on Twitter, honestly. It was a small and unexpected thing.

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

I mean, I kind of disappeared for half a year. I only returned to blogging at the end of April! I've talked before about how I just... lose interest in things sometimes, sometimes for months at a time, and that was kind of what happened.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Best Books I’ve Read In 2018 (So Far)

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

Well... any of the reviews. Reviews take me a lot of time. For just one post, let's go with Trail of Lightning because I want everyone to know about it and read it so I have people to talk to about it.

9. Best bookish sites and stores (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Hmm... I've been spending a lot more time browsing RedBubble and Society 6 for book-related stuff, if that counts?

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Since I missed the beginning of the year, I didn't do any book blogging-related challenges... there was just the Goodreads Challenge. I managed to meet my 100 book goal.

looking-ahead-books-2015

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?



2. Book(s) You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?

There are... a lot... here's a sample:



3. 2019 Debut(s) You Are Most Anticipating?

Here's just some: 

Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers #1)Descendant of the CraneWe Hunt the FlameThe Candle and the Flame

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?


Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?

This year, I think I'll settle for just managing to be remotely consistent throughout the year.

6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):


I've only read one 2019 release so far, and that's The Girl King. It wasn't entirely my cup of tea, although I did enjoy it!




6 comments :

  1. Rebecca Roanhouse is definitely on my list of favorite authors after Trail of Lightning. Everything Anna-Marie McLemore writes feels like magic, doesn't it? I need to read Evelyn Hugo in 2019. Will keep tissues handy. Thanks so much for the shout out and if you need someone to gush about Trail of Lightning with, I'm available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just take you up on the gushing about Trail of Lightning thing, I still don't know a lot of people who've read it!

      Delete
  2. Ahh I'm with you on all the books you're highly anticipating eep!! Cannot WAIT for King of Scars omg and Gilded Wolves. Also there's so much to flail over here and congrats on reading so many epic books. (I still haven't read Wintersong but I'm kind of procrastinating it because I'm worried about the romance being off.) Also I still need to read Darius The Great but CAN'T WAIT. And I read Wild Beauty last year but it was so so beautiful and perfect. I need to read her latest, Blanca and Roja!

    Here's to a fantastic 2019 for you too *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blanca and Roja is on my wait list at the library, and I'm looking forward to whenever it becomes available! (Which might take some time, it's a long waiting list.)

      Wintersong was... I know a lot of people really liked it, but the romance was just uncomfortable for me to read. There are certain things that I just don't find very romantic (it should, perhaps, be noted that I am not a very romantic person, but still. I do think there were somethings in Wintersong that were just overall not good?)

      Hopefully 2019 is a good reading year for both of us!

      Delete
  3. Most of the books you've mentioned are also on my list! Foolish Hearts, Children of Blood and Bone, etc. The only one I have read is The Cruel Prince, and I'm currently reading The Wicked King (so good!). Good luck with your reading this year!! <3

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to The Wicked King! Hope the rest of it goes well for you, along with the rest of your reads in 2019!

      Delete